Monday, July 19, 2010

"Working" with my daughter

last night, i was in denver staying with some friends getting ready to pick cass up in the morning when she called me and asked if she could go to school in denver next year. my first thought was - this is easy - "your dad is between jobs and houses right now; i think it's not a good time." but she unexpectedly counters with "no, i could stay at nana and papa's" (nana and papa are actually doug's aunt and uncle who are, for ALL intents and purposes her denver grandma and grandpa) (insert stomach drop here - on my part). i tell her i can't make that decision right now.
my mind swirls to all sorts of sad, mad, hurt etc. places. i stress all night, but manage to get to talk to pam (dotheworkwithpam@gmail.com), and i am here to testify that her phone sessions are the real deal - i did it - so don't let proximity be a barrier) before i pick up cass. we do a quick run-through of the situation and i uncover a host of underlying thoughts behind my anxiety. anyway, i collect myself and pick up my daughter.
my baby is always upset when she has to leave her denver family, so i introduced the "Work" to her and let her explore her sorrow via the Work. i won't share her revelations except to tell that listening to her helped dissolve my core beliefs related to issue i had called pam about - even though i had mentioned NOTHING to her.
i am looking forward to sharing the Work with her. man! i can just imagine if someone had given me the tools to question my beliefs and help me realize that suffering is optional when i was 11!

1 comment:

  1. You are AMAZING. I'm glad this resolved itself easily.

    ReplyDelete