Friday, July 6, 2012

Some camus for your ass

My friend Ash posted something earlier this evening that made me want to read Camus' "Youthful Writings" again - not all of it - just my favorite bits :) i began with the piece entitled "intuitions" and then revisited other favorite parts. i just love a favorite book! how you can go back and read it again and just cherish it all over again. mostly i wish i could just somehow beam the contents of this wonderful book into your head - but i will settle for relating a poem from the book...

That the gift is sad and grave, I know it, child of
   those who believe.
Flowers and streams, shadows and foliage in the
   dark of the present, all stretch forth and entwine.
I would have liked to leave in order to be bound,
   I see the sky too high.
Seeing how desires that look behind them die,
   who can be born again?
No. No. May all be astonished - at each thing
   at each birth and at each death.
Life with its regrets and desires is too short; alas!
   I believe in Love, and what use are my roots.
I know that everything happens and that the instant
   of communion is not awaited - but is won.
And when night falls, it's dawn
   that one must reach for.

No comments:

Post a Comment